As we all know that the Quran is the book of Allah and was revealed upon the Prophet (P.B.U.H) in the period of 23 years. But why was the Quran revealed over 23 years? What is the reason behind the revelation in 23 years and why it was revealed?
These are some questions and you want to know the answers. So, in this article, I will tell you the reason for the revelation of the Quran and the reason for the revelation of the Quran in stages. At the end you will be able to know more details about it.
Reason for the revelation of the Quran
Here the most important question is why the Quran was revealed. Why is there a need to reveal this book on the Prophet? So, there are certain reasons for the revelation of the Quran.
(Part 7, Surah, Al-An’aam, Ayah 92)
- It was revealed because people fear the punishment provided by Allah. It is also mentioned in the Quran.
- To serve as a guide for humanity on how to behave according to its rules.
- To verify the messages of Allah that have previously been revealed to past prophets. Such as Ibrahim, Musa, Duad, and Isa, also to learn through experiences.
- To support people’s spiritual growth and needs.
- To complete Allah’s teaching to mankind and spread Allah’s message far and wide.
- Ensure that rules and regulations are adjusted to account for the population’s evolving needs.
The main motive of the revelation of the Quran is to guide humanity. So that they can live a better life and be aware of what will happen at the end of life. So, here I will discuss why was the Quran revealed over 23 years.
Revelation and Preservation of the Quran
The Prophet (P.B.U.H) received the revelation of the Quran over 23 years. The prophet received the Quran starting on December 22 of the year 609 CE at the age of 40. And the revelation was finished in 632 CE at the age of 63.
- The Angel Gabriel spoke to him directly.
- At most other times it appeared in his dreams, and in many instances, it indeed came from God.
- The Prophet made an effort during those 23 years to immediately share the revelation with people around him.
- The companions who were with him constantly worked to memorize the verses.
- These verses were concurrently written on paper, stone, wood, rock, and pretty much whatever else they could find.
- Over time, the Prophet built a school in Madina to instruct 900 companions in reading and writing.
- The Prophet had predetermined where each verse should be placed within each chapter.
- The companions of the Prophet had varying methods for arranging the chapters inside the book as a whole in their era.
So, it means that the Quran was revealed gradually over 23 years. But why Quran was revealed gradually in parts? Why did Allah send his book years? What is the reason behind that? So, let’s discuss.
Reason for Revelation of the Quran in parts
There are several reasons why was the Quran revealed over 23 years? Allah knows everything better. So, Allah revealed this book gradually for some reasons;
- The assistance of Muslims on certain occasions
Muhammad and his followers faced numerous challenges and difficulties while promoting Islam. Thus, the divine direction was necessary to both strengthen their cause and alleviate the particular issues that these early Muslims encountered.
- Enhancing the Quran’s message
The revelation of the Quran in pieces helped the early Muslims. They were under great social pressure to return to polytheistic practices, to remain steadfast in their beliefs.
- Strong faith in Allah
Allah also reminded the faithful through consecutive revelations. That explores the world and the many of His signals therein to develop a stronger faith.
- To make it easier to learn the Quran
The Prophet and his followers were able to effortlessly remember and share the teachings of the Quran because of gradual revelation. This was especially useful when it was first formally collected into a book. According to this Ayah:
- To make the Prophet able to handle the message
The main reason why Quran was revealed in 23 years?, was that the Prophet sometimes feels burdened by the heavenly revelation because;
- The magnitude of its revelation.
- Difficulties of the mission it had given him.
As a result, gaps between revelations were required. To make sure that Muhammad was prepared to hear, spread, and apply each new batch of verses.
- Showing the religious dimension of the Quran
There is consistency in the content of the Quran. There would be inconsistencies in the text of the Quran if it were a product of human hands. If the Qur’an had been revealed all at once, this miracle of it would not have occurred.
- To respond to people’s concerns and issues
Especially, why was the Quran revealed over 23 years? The more educated folks would ask him about historic people and events that they thought he also couldn’t possibly know. So, to respond to those inquiries as and when they were made to him, the divine direction was required.
- Enable the progressive realisation of divine decrees
One main reason is that if the rules had been implemented immediately, the people might have felt burdened. But now they are being implemented gradually. It was made possible as a result of numerous divine revelations spread out throughout time.
- To strengthen hearts
Strengthening people’s hearts is one reason the Quran has been revealed over such a long period. So, people gradually absorb and learn the rules of the Quran gradually.
In a nutshell, the Quran is the book of Allah for the guidance of humans. But this book was sent gradually over 23 years to the Prophet (P.B.U.H). But why was the Quran revealed over 23 years? There are several reasons for the gradual revelation of the Quran.
Such as implementing commands, answering the questions of people, to make it easier for the Prophet to handle more, to make it easier to understand, and many more. In the end, Allah knows everything better.
If you want to read more articles you can visit: islambeliever.com